Exiled (The Protector #1) By M.R. Merrick

Chase Williams is a demon hunter in the Circle, or at least he was supposed to be. On his fifteenth birthday, Chase stepped up to the altar to claim his elemental power, but it never came. Elemental magic is passed down to a hunter through the bloodline, but on Chase's birthday, the bloodline stopped.

Exiled without the Circle's protection, Chase has spent two years trying to survive a world riddled with half-demons and magic. When he has a run in with a frightened and seemingly innocent demon, he learns the Circle's agenda has changed: the Circle plans to unlock a portal and unleash pure-blood demons into the world. Vowing to stop them, and knowing he can't do it alone, Chase forms a reluctant alliance with Rayna — a sexy witch with an attitude and a secret.

In their attempt to stop them, Chase and Rayna find themselves in the middle of the Circle's plan, leaving one of them to decide what their friendship is worth, and the other's life depending on it



In all honesty here, I have read a lot of books this year with Demons and recently have found them all kind of mixing together in my head and not remembering much about them only weeks after reading the book.
This book however completely stood out on it's own and incredibly entertaining and memorable.
I had been hearing some good things about the book in some blogs, so I had it on my radar, it's a great price right now and jumped at the opportunity to review it. Needless to say when I started reading it I was unsure how it was going to turn out for me, but about halfway through is when I really knew it was going to get the 5 star rating and worth every penny in my opinion.
What I did like immediately from page one was that it's told from a male perspective. I am starting to appreciate this more and more as it is not so common in Young Adult books out there (I read mostly young adult books for review) I find a the male's perspective on things refreshing and different especially when it is written so well.
This book had great characters, they interacted well with each other, I also like a story with a great evil villain that really adds content that keeps me entertained and guessing at what will happen next. Also the mixture of characters and the world building and traveling was a unique mixture and really fit the story.
I don't know why I find it important to emphasize that the 2nd half of the book rocked! Once the characters were established and we get a feel for everything, it takes off into a crazy adventure and incredible fighting scenes. Rounded off nicely with a epilogue that is very fitting and not a cliffhanger! :)
Goodreads Page
Amazon

Comments

  1. It sounds like this is the opposite of most nephilim/fallen angel/demon stories. The main character wasn't just discovering their powers but instead has to survive without powers. Kind of a refreshing change.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?