Stonefield by Christy Lenzi

Stone Field

In a small town on the brink of the Civil War, Catrina finds a man making strange patterns in her family’s sorghum crop. He’s mad with fever, naked, and strikingly beautiful. He has no memory of who he is or what he’s done before Catrina found him in Stone Field. But that doesn’t bother Catrina because she doesn’t like thinking about the things she’s done before either.

Catrina and Stonefield fall passionately, dangerously, in love. All they want is to live with each other, in harmony with the land and away from Cat’s protective brother, the new fanatical preacher, and the neighbors who are scandalized by their relationship. But Stonefield can’t escape the truth about who he is, and the conflict tearing apart the country demands that everyone take a side before the bloodbath reaches their doorstep.

Inspired by Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights.
   I received a review copy from readingteen.net

I have never read Wuthering Heights and am now curious if I had what my change my opinions of this story. Going into it somewhat blind on where the story would go I was almost mesmerized while reading it. The story read like an old family story grandparents would tell around the fire. The atmosphere, to me was almost like being in a dream and everything rounded out the story so unexpectedly for me.

The main character Catrina is what really drove the story for me. There were several times throughout the story that I questioned her sanity. After finding a naked man in the field, she becomes obsessed with him. Both physically and mentally drawn to this man who does not remember who he is. They fall headfirst in love with each other and cannot keep their hands off each other. But is it love or lust? It seems to Catrina that the both are one and the same.  Catrina has always been known as a wild child, her friends and family try to tame her. Especially when Stonefield begins to regain some of his memories and her brother puts his foot down regarding their unconventional relationship.

There was never a time that I became bored throughout the story. In a way it haunted me whenever I had to put it down. I believe that was due to the atmosphere and prose of the writing. I feel that there maybe some that are worried about the "insta-love" in books. This is one that really fits the story though, being completely swept away from her boring reality, Catrina and Stonefield truly find instant soul mates with each other. I think it was very well done. This is a story that I am looking forward to reading again.

Comments